Wednesday 25 January 2012

Erasure - Abba-esque (EP)

Despite being a massive fan of Pet Shop Boys (and I do mean massive), I've always felt that Erasure, consisting of Andy Bell and Vince Clarke (Formely of Depeche Mode and Yazoo) have always been overlooked in favour of bands such as Pet Shop Boys and Depeche Mode. For me, this is little EP is one of my most favourite things they've done. As you can tell, it consists of four Abba covers. Erasure are big fans of Abba, preforming various songs live during the course of their career and  a cover of Abba's Gimme Gimme was used as a B-side to Oh Lamour, their third ever single. The EP was originally going to be a full album, and I wish it was in ways, because Erasure do brilliant covers of Abba! For me Erasure's sound seems to bring out the best in these tracks, to the point were I have to be honest and say I prefer these tracks to the originals! The EP was also the groups first number one on the UK single's chart, after peaking at #2 with Sometimes and the Cracker's International EP (this was when EP's were still eligible to chart in UK). The EP has been credited as being a major factoring in instigating a revival in Abba's work in the 90s. For me, my top two tracks on the EP would have to be SOS and Take A Chance On Me, but all four of the songs are brilliant tracks. My only slight critcism (and it is small) is that they should have put Gimme Gimme on the album, because that is another brilliant Abba cover they've done, but that was released on the remastered version of Wonderland anyhow. A brilliant covers EP!

No comments:

Post a Comment