Saturday 7 January 2012

Some fascinations from the book I'm currently reading.

At the moment, I'm currently reading Torn Apart: The Life of Ian Curtis, which I got as a belated Christmas present. I'm about halfway through it or so, and so far I am finding it an absolutely fascinating read, and definitely recommend it to all those out there with even a passing interest in Joy Division. Reading it has taught me many new things about Ian that I never knew, which is particularly invaluable considering due to his tragic story and suicide, he's become a sort of cult like figure with a lot of myth surrounding his character. Anyhow, one of the things that really intrigued me (and that freaked me out slightly if I'm honest) was that Ian actually suffered from eczema, I find that bizarre given that I had terrible eczema myself when I was younger, that resulted in me having to wear bandages on my arms at night and it also damaged the skin around my eyes. On the subject of epilepsy, there is a part of the book that I just read last night that discusses his diagnosis and epilepsy treatment, which would interest me obviously given that I was born with a mild form of the condition and I still have it to this day. In the book it stated that Ian took a medication called "Valproate", which I find interesting is the one that I take is sodium valproate. Whether or not the two are the same I'm not sure of, but it sounds like its a similar sort of medication. I'm really looking forward to reading the rest of the book, although it will also be pretty difficult reading also!

No comments:

Post a Comment