Wednesday 4 September 2013

Purchase Ponders: Tears For Fears - The Hurting (30th Anniversary Edition)

Another reissue (along with Nirvana's In Utero) that I'm very much looking forward to this year is that of Tears For Fears debut, The Hurting. I love Tears For Fears, they're perhaps the most underrated group of the 80s for me. I don't have The Hurting at all though, just the deluxe edition of Songs From The Big Chair. A good thing really, seeing as this reissue is being released at the end of October. Anyway, the four disc edition of The Hurting looks very expansive. The first disc is the album remastered, then the second contains various single versions, extended versions and B-side tracks. Those two discs are being released as a two disc deluxe version. Then there's disc three on the deluxe, which comprises of radio sessions and live tracks. The DVD is the concert film In My Mind's Eye: Live At Hammersmith Odeon (filmed December 1983) which has only been available on VHS until now. All together, the four disc version is priced at £33 on Amazon UK currently. It's admittedly quite dear for a deluxe edition of one album. I'm weighing up what version to get. To be honest, I'll most likely get the four disc one. I've never heard/seen any of the live material, nor the B-sides though. In the next few days, I'm gonna watch In My Mind's Eye and the John Peel sessions (if I can find them), then I'll know for sure what to go for. Frankly though the concert performance would need to utterly stink to put me off however. I don't think that's very likely to happen. It's Tears For Fears after all, I have high expectations. Also - on a purely superficial level it looks beautiful. You can tell I love deluxe editions, can't you?

No comments:

Post a Comment