Saturday 17 August 2013

Flasback: Clare's Calling.

Why it's important: The start of the process that turned me into a dedicated Clash and Joe Strummer fan.

As next week is the great man's birthday, I've decided to make the next two flashback-oriented posts dedicated to him. So - this week we've got the moment that made me go back to The Clash. Like many of my other favourite artists, they just sneaked in. The start of this life-changing process took place October 26th, 2012 (you can thank Facebook's Activity Log feature for that). I briefly flirted with The Clash's music in the summer of 2012. I had been trying to track down a greatest hits in town but to no avail - the only one I found was missing a track I loved but I honestly can't remember what it is anymore. Anyway - one night me and my father were watched an excellent documentary presented by Jools Holland called London Calling. Its companion piece: London Songs at The BBC then came on. And suddenly, the familiar chords of London Calling chimed. I was incredibly happy - I already knew the song and I loved it. When I looked up though I was rather surprised. I wasn't looking at The Clash, rather Joe Strummer & The Mescaleros. It was from May 2000, when he performed on Later with Jools Holland. I already knew Joe, but not The Mescaleros. What struck me the most however was that despite the inevitable physical and vocal changes that age brings, the song - and Joe himself - both retained their passion. Despite Joe being 47, he still performed like he was 27. And that legendary left leg still kept on pumping - I like to think he's still pumping it right now, wherever he may be actually. Anyhow - there was... something, about him. I couldn't put my finger on it but I just knew there was something about this man that I had to get to know better. When the performance finished, even my Dad remarked he was impressive - and he didn't care for The Clash at all previously. I came away feeling I hadn't explored The Clash and Joe Strummer thoroughly enough. Time to re-investigate The Clash....

No comments:

Post a Comment