Saturday 9 March 2013

Joy Division - Transmission (Live Something Else)

I remember watching this for the first time like it was yesterday. It was two years ago in actuality, and I had been trying to get into Joy Division. It just wasn’t working though. I had listened to Atrocity Exhibition and just didn’t get it. Or them. Tried Digital and Isolation: More of the same. I was on the verge of giving up, but after reading about Ian Curtis’ dynamic stage presence I decided to watch them live. I clicked on a random clip which was of a song called Transmission. It floored me, and that was it. Hooked. They quickly became one of my absolute favourite bands and now both their studio albums rank in my most favourite of all time. This is one of the precious few tv performances they did, they also did She’s Lost Control on Something Else too. Both performances are electric and I think are superior to the studio versions. Ian Curtis’ vocals just sound even more impassioned here, and it’s one of the best examples of his excellent showmanship. All four members of the band are firing on all cylinders here though and they just play with such a sense of urgency. Simply incredible.

No comments:

Post a Comment