Sunday 24 March 2013

New music: Primal Scream - It's Alright, It's OK

So in an exciting bit of news yesterday Primal Scream unveiled the first proper single from upcoming album More Light (scheduled for release in May). I love Primal Scream - they have released some brilliant albums over the years and I think they've never got the respect they deserved. With that in mind I had high hopes for their new material. I didn't like 2013 on my first listen but it's grown on me and now I like it quite a lot. Having said that, It's Alright, It's OK is just gorgeous I think. I haven't been able to stop listening to it. It's got a beautiful summery tone (the perfect contrast to the horrible snowy weather that's causing problems in Northern Ireland right now). In some ways it reminds me quite a bit of Movin' On Up from Screamadelica - it has incredibly upbeat lyrics to go with the arrangement. It also has a choir thrown in for good measure - which you could also find on a few tracks from Screamadelica. Although from what I've read about the album I don't think it's going to sound like Screamadelica at all. The album does sound like its going to be quite an experimental record so I was surprised that this track is actually quite an accessible radio friendly one. It's a great song and my favorite single of the year so far. If the rest of the album is as good then More Light could be a sure-fire contender for album of the year in my eyes!

No comments:

Post a Comment