Sunday 28 July 2013

Strummerville documentary

So, I just finished watching this documentary. No prizes for guessing what it was about: the work concerning the Strummerville charity, which was set up to carry on the legacy of a certain Joe Strummer. It was made by Don Letts and I have to say I really enjoyed it! It was very interesting seeing the various projects undertaken by the charity. It feels like the perfect organization to carry on Joe's message and I think he would have approved. One thing I found particularly interesting was the Jail Guitar Doors project initiated by Billy Bragg which aims to supply guitars to inmates serving time as means of rehabilitation. I was also really pleased to hear Belfast being name-checked: as I've mentioned previously on this blog there are two Strummerville rehearsal spaces in the Oh Yeah centre which is located in the city centre. I came away from the documentary feeling inspired actually - once again the cogs are ticking away in my brain trying to figure out what I can do to help make Belfast (and Northern Ireland) a better place for all. Somehow, I think that was exactly the intention of the documentary. It was on Sky Arts a few days ago, if it crops up again I'd heartily recommend it!

No comments:

Post a Comment