Tuesday 18 June 2013

Depeche Mode Milestone

Today's a pretty big anniversary for a pivotal moment in Depeche Mode's history: it's 25 years today since their seminal sell out show at Pasadena's Rose Bowl. It was the final date of the band's Music For The Masses tour which was in support of the album of the same name. Music For The Masses is my favourite Depeche Mode album (probably in my top twenty ever), which I don't think is an all that common view. What is a much more common view though is that selling out the Rose Bowl is one of (if not the) crowning achievements of their career. The show was documented (partially) on the 101 DVD yet in full on the 101 live album. I must admit - the 101 show was instrumental in making me a fan as their performance is simply that good in it. Behind The Wheel especially which is one of my favourite singular performances from any concert, period. Honestly, this is one show I would love to have been able to see, along with Simon & Garfunkel's Central Park reunion concert. Sadly, I don't own either the DVD or CD of 101 but they're items I want sooner rather than later. Later on I think I'll listen to Music For The Masses though as means of a little celebration. In the meantime, happy 25th anniversary!

No comments:

Post a Comment