Tuesday 4 June 2013

Last Night's Viewing: Simon & Garfunkel - Songs Of America

Good evening all from a gloriously sunny (once again too) evening here in Belfast. It's the sort of weather that leaves me feeling a bit inspired writing wise. That and also the fact I have quite a lot of updates to make, a few of them being posted tonight hopefully. First of all - something that I actually watched last night. I was in the mood for a documentary but one that offered a little more than a mere chronological history documentation of a band. So, as you know I've been listening to a ton of Simon & Garfunkel these past two or three weeks. With that in mind, I fancied watching something a little in depth about them. I figured a good place to start would be Songs of America. Well, documentary might not be the best term to describe it, its more of a TV special I guess. It doesn't really deal with the making of any specific album or even the history of the group. It aired on CBS in 1969 and contains footage of them on tour: the live performance of For Emily, Whenever I May Find Her I loved (rather predictably). Added to this it has backstage interviews of Simon & Garfunkel and historic news footage. I have to admit, because I'm not American a lot of the news footage made minimal sense, although I obviously recognized figures such as President John F. Kennedy and Martin Luther King. It's very interesting to watch as a sort of time capsule, although for a history of Simon & Garfunkel you might want to watch something else!

No comments:

Post a Comment