Tuesday 25 June 2013

First impressions: Jagwar Ma - Howlin

I've listened to two new pieces of music today folks, both of which I'm going to share with you. First up, we have Howlin, the debut offering from Jagwar Ma. This album has really shocked me. I heard one of their singles last week. I liked it - but I wasn't sure if it justified the high praise the band seem to be getting. Also the band were praised as sounding very Madchester-era in sound. As you all know I love that sound so expectations were sky high. No wonder the single didn't fully grab me. Needless to say, I felt I still couldn't write them off completely without hearing Howlin. I'm so glad I did because it's a phenomenal album! Maybe just my album of the year thus far too! It's a brilliantly varied album that's very house styled in places and pyschedelic in other places. All the tracks are excellent though and a fair few songs on the album are amongst the best I've heard all year, too. In fact it's so good that I ordered it straight after listening along with another recent album that I've been busting to own: Jessie Ware's Devotion (the newly released special edition though). To fans of Manchester music of the late 80s and early 90s I particularly recommend Jagwar Ma, but they're someone I recommend you all to listen too! So good!

No comments:

Post a Comment