Friday 28 June 2013

Fleetwood Mac - Behind The Music

Another documentary that aired on Sky Arts about a week or so ago that I recorded. I've only just got round to watching it earlier. Even though I don't mention them on my blog nearly as often as I should, I love the Buckingham-Nicks version of Fleetwood Mac. So, I was looking forward to watching the Behind The Music special on them.

I have to admit - whilst it was decent - it felt very sparse. The version that I watched had obviously been updated from it's 1997 transmission. I think it was updated up until 2010 actually. Having said that - I often felt watching it that the documentary was pretty sparse. Perhaps understandable, there's a lot of history to cover to say the least. The biggest flaw for me was the way the documentary jumped straight from Tusk to Lindsey Buckingham leaving the group in 1987.  It pretty much ignored Mirage and Tango In The Night. The latter is probably my favourite Fleetwood Mac album. Needless to say, that was disappointing. Although to be honest I'm not sure if material had to be omitted so they could add the updated parts. That may well have been the case actually. In any case, I did enjoy the documentary. I just wish there was more of it (although I'm sure there's plenty of other documentaries).

One thing I did love though was it finally introduced me to some live footage from 1997's The Dance, which I've never watched before. The brief snippet was of Everywhere - and it sounded incredible. I watched the full song online straight after the documentary was over and I loved it. It's the video I've included in this post because I couldn't share a full recording of Behind The Music (though it's all on Youtube). I must admit - I've never actually realized how good of a guitarist Lindsey Buckingham is until I saw that. Definitely will need to watch The Dance soon! As for documentaries - I'm thinking either the Classic Albums edition of Rumors or their Tusk documentary will be next!

No comments:

Post a Comment